The Diocese of Fredericton is seeking an individual that will support the bishop in his/her work by overseeing all administrative aspects of the diocesan synod, including managing the synod office staff and operations. The incumbent for this new position will liaise with the territorial archdeacons in responding to the day to day concerns that happen in parish and diocesan life.
The Executive Officer reports to (and is accountable to) the Bishop of Fredericton. The incumbent supervises most synod staff on behalf of the bishop and collaborates with the episcopal archdeacon. Administrative support to the executive officer is provided by the financial and administrative assistant.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Administration oversight of the Diocesan Synod
- Advise Bishop about major needs within the diocese and develop strategies
- Organize Diocesan Council meetings and coordinate ongoing tasks
- Be responsible for property management pertaining to the synod office and properties
- Be primary point of contact for legal matters
- Operational management of the synod office
- Manage/supervise most synod staff
- Help in the development of strategies to meet the operational needs of the office
- Provide support to those in volunteer diocesan officer and coordinator roles
- Responding to the day-to-day concerns in parish and diocesan life
- Be primary contact for parish issues arising which cannot be dealt with by the territorial archdeacon and troubleshoot in situations of challenge
- Be first point of contact in the synod office concerning misconduct issues
Skills and experience required for this position include:
- Strong administrative and organizational skills and experience
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team
- Willing to take initiative and work beyond the job description when appropriate
- Ability to manage colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to deal with complex issues involving people
- Understanding of the diocese and its complex and unique situations
- Patience and a sense of humour
- Disciplined Christian life
Qualified applicants are to submit, in confidence, their cover letter and resumé including three references, no later than February 28th, 2019 to:
The Diocesan Synod of Fredericton
115 Church Street E: [email protected]
Fredericton, NB, E3B 4C8 F: (506) 460-0520
Clergy applicants from outside the diocese should confirm that they have their bishop’s permission to explore a possible appointment outside of their own diocese. A confidential reference may also be requested from your Diocesan Bishop and in addition to other references.
The successful candidate will be required to provide a valid criminal record with vulnerable sector check and may be required to authorize a credit check.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please, no telephone calls.